Ruby on Rails (RoR) is a framework for building websites that can make it more affordable to create and maintain your site, while simultaneously offering improved performance and faster development times. Read more: What’s new in Ruby on Rails 4
Benefits of utilizing Ruby on Rails
Overall, there are three major benefits that any startups can expect with RoR:
- QUICKER LAUNCH. RoR helps saving results from a few factors: a leaner code-base (fewer lines of redundant code), a modular design (re-using existing components rather than building everything from scratch), and the availability of existing plugins (again, reducing the need to build features from scratch).
- EASIER CHANGES. After site launch, all modifications to your site (e.g., adding new features, making changes to the data model) can be made more quickly, for the same reasons noted above.
- MORE COST-EFFECTIVE. Because RoR sites can be built and modified quickly, it means that you would spend less money to create and maintain the website — without compromising the quality, performance, or scalability of your site.
In summary, while building Rails website isn’t “cheap” but for larger sites, you ‘ll probably gain much better returns on your investment by using RoR.
When to use Ruby on Rails
- E-COMMERCE. Most e-commerce sites benefit tremendously from Rails’ user-friendly features and modular approach to site development. They include features that a business would normally only find in high-end e-commerce suites, such as bulk uploads and updates (for product descriptions and photos, extremely handy when you have thousands of products), customize price.
- MEMBERSHIP SITES. Membership and social networking options are pretty much with using Rails. A variety of plugins are available to solve any social networking challenge you can think of.
- CONTENT MANAGEMENT. If the purpose of your site is to present thousands of articles, audio files, or other database-friendly content, RoR is a great solution because of the ease with which users will be able to navigate the site, and the ease with which you will be able to upload and manage the content. Read more: Scalability of Ruby on Rails
- CUSTOM DATABASE SOLUTIONS. More and more of new projects are custom solutions requiring a database structure to support a creative new business model. In most cases, Rails is an ideal way to realize build these solutions at a fraction of the usual time and expense.
If your site fits into one or more of those categories, generally the idea of using RoR programming language is definitely a good choice for your professional business.