What You Should Know About Chatbot Development In 2023?
Chatbot was one of the biggest technology developments in 2022, and you can see chatbots almost everywhere in the digital space, from websites to Facebook, Telegram, and Slack. Forecasts show that 2023 will continue to be a year in which chatbot development remains a popular search.
Chatbots have proven to be a successful replacement for humans in certain situations, such as responding to queries. About 62% of customers prefer using a chatbot if that means they can grab the answer quickly. Moreover, 3 out of 4 businesses are happy with the results of the chatbot establishment on their platforms. Seeing how useful chatbots have been to their competitors, other enterprises are also planning to hop on the chatbot trend.
There are several issues regarding the development of a chatbot that we have seen businesses struggling with. If you are also looking for a way to get started, then read on as the solutions for most-asked questions about chatbot development will be discussed in this article.
What Is A Chatbot?
Chatbot is a computer program designed to simulate conversations with human users in a natural way, via text or text-to-speech. Chatbots can have natural communications with users thanks to artificial intelligence (AI), machine learning (ML), and natural language processing (NLP).
Types of chatbots
Chatbots are divided into 3 categories:
- Rule-based chatbots: Chatbots respond to queries following a set of rules of flows they have been trained. This type of chatbot is useful for completing simple tasks they were programmed to perform. Yet, with more training from its developers, it will become more capable of handling complex tasks.
- Machine learning-based chatbots: These chatbots can hold more complicated conversations since they attempt to process the question and comprehend its meaning. It takes what it has learned from the last dialogues to handle more complicated inquiries in the future.
- Hybrid chatbots: The hybrid chatbot, as the name implies, combines the best of rule-based and AI technology with live chat capability to create a greater customer experience.
Industry Use Cases Of Chatbots
Chatbots now can be used in almost all sectors, thanks to their outstanding features. Nevertheless, we have seen some industries that benefit more from this chatbot development trend:
E-commerce may be the industry that sees the most use of chatbots. They help businesses in:
- Customer onboarding – educate users to utilize your e-commerce app.
- Customer support – searching for products or other information.
- Generate leads- engage and encourage customers to provide their email addresses.
- Upsell – giving personalized recommendations or suggesting similar products.
- Improve the buying experience – completing orders, and supporting the refund process.
- Collect customer feedback about your services.
- Track the status of a customer’s order through social media like Facebook and Messenger.
If you are a retailer and have a website, a chatbot can help in improving the customer experience:
- Give personalized recommendations.
- Engage users on social media by answering their questions or proving information about specific products.
- Provide order confirmation and package tracking details instantly.
Educational apps can integrate chatbots for a better learning journey:
- Simulate conversations with users
- Explain questions for learners
- Help users find the suitable courses
Given how patients are sensitive regarding their health issues, chatbot integration might be an extremely helpful tool in this case:
- Schedule appointments with care providers
- Address patient’s concerns
- Encourage patients to follow through with the health check process
- Remind users to take medications
- Collect patient data
- Offer quick medical assistance
- Provide mental healthcare
Banking is also one of the industries that can leverage their services using chatbots:
- Analyze and offer insights into a user’s financial health
- Advice people on their financial situation
- Track user’s expenses and create useful reports
- Send balance notifications and bill reminders
- Alert users about suspicious activities or scams
The development of chatbots also benefits the travel industry as it helps businesses:
- Generate leads
- Provide 24/7 customer support
- Search for travel services that suit buyer’s requirements
Have a Project Idea in Mind?
Get in touch with Savvycom’s experts for a free consultation. We’ll help you decide on next steps, explain how the development process is organized, and provide you with a free project estimate.
Top 5 Chatbot Development Platforms
Bot development platforms are tools that allow for the creation of bots. Let’s take a look at some of the most popular chatbot creation tools for building bespoke chatbots.
Intercom is software that enables you to provide prospects with messenger-based experiences by utilizing live chat, chatbots, and other capabilities. Intercom can respond to up to 33% of inquiries and improves customer response time by 44% by providing a personalized experience based on machine learning and behavioral data.
Drift AI-powered chatbots help B2B firms establish conversations and respond to queries. These bots provide consumers with a customized user experience as well as real-time engagement. Its sales AI chatbot can also set up meetings with potential clients, helping you to contact decision-makers faster.
Landbot chatbot software allows you to create conversational landing pages and embed chatbots on any page of your website without code. You may utilize the chatbot design library or construct your own from scratch. This bot software also includes a widget, live chat, and pop-ups that you can put on your website to increase visitor interaction.
IBM Watson Assistant is one of the most powerful AI-powered chatbots on the market. It can be pre-trained and have the specific industry expertise to understand your previous chat or call logs, search your knowledge base for an answer, ask consumers for clarification, and route them to human agents.
Google Dialogflow now includes the most recent BERT-based natural language understanding (NLU) for more efficient customer service. You may also create text-based and voice-based conversational interfaces that link to a wide range of channels, including Google Assistant, Amazon Alexa, mobile applications, IoT, and others.
7 Steps In Chatbot Development
Step 1. Define your goals
Before you invest in building your chatbot, the first question is whether it is really essential to your business. Having a chatbot just because it is trendy should not be the reason to develop one, and it may just end in disaster.
Investigate your business operation to see where a chatbot may fit in and be useful. If there are too many questions from customers and no staff to handle them, then chatbot development might be the solution. If you want to enhance the buying journey by giving people personalized recommendations, then consider a chatbot.
Next, define the chatbot’s goal and metrics to measure its success. For the goal, SMART is applicable, you can have a goal such as “the chatbot should automate 20% of customer service requests about products and our policies in the first 3 months after implementation”. For measurement, check the total time ticket resolution time of the chatbot.
Step 2. Select a communication channel
Chatbots are integrable on multiple platforms, from your website to social media channels such as Facebook Messenger, Skype, etc. What to do is check which channels you may elevate the customer experience and convert them.
Depending on your business situation, you may go for a multi-channel approach to maximize the benefits of a chatbot. The only difference is that you should ideally employ the same technology stack across all platforms.
Step 3. Design conversational language & architecture
You can design the chatbot’s dialogue based on your business requirements and the workload of the customer service staff. Customers can get quick support from a simple chatbot that uses FAQ-styled messages. As a result, you must build a conversational style that addresses all possible inquiries from your consumers.
You should develop a storyboard and dialogue flow for the bot in addition to simple messages. This entails creating different variations of a message that convey the same meaning. This allows the bot to converse smoothly even when it has to say something repeatedly.
More advanced chatbots that offer human-like conversations, on the other hand, require a more sophisticated conversational architecture. Machine learning technology is also used by these chatbots to improve their interactions.
Step 4. Choose integration apps
To retrieve relevant responses, a chatbot architecture must comprise a knowledge base or a response center. You can either create a dedicated knowledge base for this reason. Alternatively, you can integrate any current apps or services that have all of the information that your customers may require.
Below are some apps to consider for integration with your chatbot:
- CRM ( e.g., Hubspot, Zoho, Salesforce, etc.)
- Calendar (Google Calendar, etc.)
- Payment systems (e.g., Stripe, PayPal, etc.)
- Maps (Google Maps, Apple Maps, etc.)
- Cloud storage tools (e.g., Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive, etc.)
- Any other business software that your company is using.
Step 5. Decide the chatbot development platform or chatbot development company
To consult and construct a prototype, you can use a chatbot builder or hire a chatbot development company. Both methods are ideal, and which one you choose is dependent on the type of chatbot you want, your business requirements, money, and time.
If you prefer a chatbot platform, you can choose from the options listed above. The platforms mentioned above are trustworthy and enable you to create a chatbot using cutting-edge technologies.
For chatbots with more complex functions, it is recommended that you seek out professionals. A chatbot development company may offer a more comprehensive solution, including consultation, design, programming, deployment, and maintenance.
Step 6. Create your chatbot persona & implement a dialogue flow
Developing a persona for your chatbot could be the first step in designing a quality dialogue. When designing a flow script, giving your bot a name and a tone of voice is a vital aspect of the design process.
Next, you need to create classifiers to implement the whole dialogue flow. This will map a structure that will allow the chatbot program to decipher an incoming inquiry, examine the context, retrieve an answer, and provide an appropriate response based on the conversational architecture.
Step 7. Test and deploy
There are several methods for testing your bot before it is deployed and launched. You may manually test it by installing it on a platform such as your website and then conversing with the chatbot. This lets you evaluate whether the bot behaved as expected.
The following steps are usability testing and gathering user feedback. Once you’re happy with the experience, start testing the chatbot with a small sample of customers and gradually scale up until the product is available to everyone.
After deploying the chatbot, monitor the conversations, collect data, make logs, analyze the data, and continue to update the bot for better experiences.
Chatbot Development Trends In 2023
Growth of voice-assistants
The number of voice chatbots is expected to exceed 8 billion by 2023, according to Juniper Research.
Because chatbots can interpret human language and speak like humans, voice interactions have made a significant difference in how customers feel connected to businesses. Chatbots in 2023 will support a wide range of mobile devices, therefore organizations must create a voice-enabled chatbot.
More emotionally intelligent chatbots
The global emotional AI market is expected to develop at an 11.3% CAGR to $37.1 billion by 2026. Advanced face emotion recognition, eye-tracking technologies, and real-time video interaction analysis are now implemented into chatbots to improve their performance.
Furthermore, progress is being made in building digital avatars that convey emotions, so that engaging with an AI chatbot may become indistinguishable. Sentiment analysis, in which AI chatbots learn to recognize mood, tone, and attitudes and adapt their responses to give personalized communication, is one of the milestones that the AI chatbot industry aspires to achieve.
According to Gartner, AI chatbots aimed at certain industries will increase in number in 2023. businesses will increasingly seek chatbot companies that give answers to their industries and problems.
Healthcare is one such industry where organizations would consider an AI chatbot provider company’s specialized abilities and experience. During the pandemic, more than 1000 COVID-19-specific chatbots were available.
Low code conversational AI chatbots
Companies nowadays choose to develop solutions that involve less effort and offer the bot in less time.
Most conversational AI systems provide simple drag-and-drop experiences with pre-designed modules, ensuring installation without the difficulties of designing a bot from scratch. This is exactly what brands desire. The low code chatbot trend will continue as chatbot providers improve and reduce the difficulties required in developing a bot solution.
Chatbot integrated into business internal processes
In the years ahead, a chatbot is likely to expedite internal procedures and play an important role. They can help to improve customer service and internal operations. The chatbot will be able to automate many operations and save considerable time. They will also improve staff productivity, decrease the risk of human error, and promote greater security. This was a significant trend in 2022 and will continue in 2023.
A report from Grand View Research predicts that the global chatbot market size is expected to reach USD 3.99 billion by 2030 and that the capabilities of chatbots will be significantly enhanced in the coming years.
Chatbots have become a necessity in business operations to keep customers happy with continuous support. But the capabilities of chatbots go beyond that, as they now can improve current marketing activities, saving time spent on engaging with users to improving internal processes. When apply correctly, chatbots yield numerous advantages for businesses.
There are many chatbot development platforms on the market to meet companies’ demand for effective solutions of creating one for themselves. On the other hand, enterprises with specific requirements may reach out to chatbot development companies to optimize the results.
With how fast chatbot development is advancing, it is expected they will bring more cutting-edge solutions to not only businesses but also allows individual users to benefit from the software.
Savvycom – Your Trusted Tech Partner
From Tech Consulting, End-to-End Product Development to IT Outsourcing Services! Since 2009, Savvycom has been harnessing the power of Digital Technologies that support business’ growth across the variety of industries. We can help you to build high-quality software solutions and products as well as deliver a wide range of related professional services.
Savvycom is right where you need. Contact us now for further consultation:
- Phone: +84 24 3202 9222
- Hotline: +84 352 287 866 (VN)
- Email: [email protected]
Chatbots are categorized into 3 types:
- Rule-based chatbots: Chatbots answer requests by following a set of trained rules of flows. This type of chatbot is handy for fulfilling simple tasks that have been programmed into it.
- Machine learning-based chatbots: These chatbots can have more complex dialogues since they strive to comprehend the question's meaning and process it.
- Hybrid chatbots: They combine the best of rule-based and AI technology with live chat capability to create a greater customer experience.
The complexity of the project, the size of the team, the type of chatbot, the platform you're utilizing, and the integration needs can all affect the time it takes to develop a chatbot.
In a few weeks, a simple chatbot with pre-defined responses and minimal functionality may be created. It can take many months to construct a more sophisticated chatbot with features like machine learning, natural language processing, and integration with external systems.
Chatbots are revolutionizing how businesses communicate with consumers and operate in certain aspects. Experts predict that you will see a lot of advancement in chatbot technologies in 2023, but here are the major ones to take note of:
- Voice-enabled chatbots are becoming popular
- More emotionally intelligent chatbots will be established
- Specialized chatbots for specific industries will get greater acceptance
- More platforms provide low-code conversational AI chatbots for businesses
- Businesses will integrate chatbot in more internal processes
Today, it is relatively easy for businesses to build their own chatbots. You can follow these steps to create a chatbot for your company:
- Define your goals for the chatbot
- Select a communication channel
- Design conversational language & architecture
- Choose integration apps
- Decide the chatbot development platform or chatbot development company
- Create your chatbot persona & implement a dialogue flow
- Test and deploy